Thursday, December 27, 2012

Milani 3D Holographic - Currently 75% off at most CVS stores!

Today I have my first attempt at an official-ish review.  The Milani 3D Holographic line, currently on clearance at CVS for 75% off (and probably still available for quite a while at various online retailers).  I'm currently home in California for Christmas break, and I bought the entire collection from a CVS near my house for $1.45 each, plus I used a $6 ExtraBucks coupon, meaning I actually only paid about $3 for all of these.  However, I'd previously owned the pink, green, blue, and purple colors, and bought these as backups because I really really like them, and a single manicure goes through quite a bit of polish.


Digital, 3D, HD, Hi-Tech, Cyberspace, Hi-Res

I've worn Digital and HD alone as manis in the past week, so I have pictures of those on all my nails.  Then for the others, I just painted one on each finger, because they use so much polish, as I'll explain below.  Most photos were taken outdoors, with a few indoor ones for comparison.


(Digital, indoor)





(HD, indoor)








(Indoor)











I tried to capture the rather subtle linear holo effect these polishes have.  They're definitely not what you're looking for if you're after a strong linear holo such as the Layla ones, or the recent Color Club collection, but especially in bright sunlight, there is a definite linear aspect to them, not purely scatter.  I really like the effect, but it's present in varying degrees in the different colors.  The pink (Digital), green (Hi-Tech), and purple (Hi-Res) are the ones I would definitely recommend buying if you find them on clearance.  At least to me, they seem to have the strongest linear effect.  The blue (Cyberspace) was also not bad in that regard.  I didn't think the gold (3D) had much of a holo effect at all, much less a linear appearance.  There seemed to be more a few sparkly flecks in a gold base than a gold holo polish.  Definitely my least favorite from the line, though I tend to not like gold polish much to begin with.  The silver (HD) had a decent linear holo effect, but it went on much sheerer than the rest.  And they all go on sheer.  

Shown above, for all but HD, is 3 coats, and you can see in a few areas it still looks a tad sparse.  For HD, I used 4 coats, and it still wasn't enough to completely get rid of the thin areas on the nail.  Fortunately, I don't mind the appearance on the nail, as it doesn't go on excessively goopy.  But it uses quite a bit of polish, thereby making you run out faster, which is sad :(

Overall, I really like these.  For the $5+ regular price in drugstores, I was never quite sold on them, but now that they're on clearance, I say absolutely pick up any that look interesting to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...